Thursday, December 28, 2017

Language and communication

From my reading this morning, Peterson speaks of three kinds of language.  Language 1 is primary, what we learn first.  It’s the communication between a parent and an infant child, the language of intimacy, of relationship and trust. Language 2 is informational and language 3 is motivational.   We most often use 2 and 3.  But 1 is the language of prayer.

Sitting here this morning with Sunshine and her tennis ball game.  Because we spend this time together I have learned that when she barks a certain way it’s because she wants me to retrieve her ball.  It’s either rolled behind something, gotten too close to Bob or she just want me to roll it back to her. However if I’m watching her I can usually tell what she wants before she barks – that my attention is required.

Spending time with is the key in communication; that and an expectancy that something will come from the time spent.  This is what prayer can be.  Perhaps that sounds a bit selfish – what can I get but it’s really more of how can I know God better, how can I learn His language, His will and purposes.  While we mostly need words to communicate, He does not.  He is able to do so on a much deeper level.

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.  (Rom 8:26-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment