Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The story of Simeon in the temple has always had special meaning for me.

Early in my life as a Christian I use to babysit for my pastor’s family.   When I first started they had two girls but as time went on they had a baby boy.  I can remember the first time I got to sit with him.  They had some church function to attend and so I got to stay with the baby.  I remember sitting at their kitchen table, holding this little being in my arms –so small and so very vulnerable.  I was suddenly overwhelmed with the thought of what it was like to hold the baby Jesus and what an amazing thing God did in taking on human flesh – not only human flesh, but that of an infant, totally dependent upon others for his very existence.  I was both humbled and in awe of such a sacrifice of love

In writing these words they seem so inadequate to describe something that so profoundly changed something in my heart – that if He could love me to enough to take on such frailty and dependence, that I could certainly trust Him with my life.

And so I can identify with dear old Simeon and the joy he must have known to see and hold his Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment