Friday, May 25, 2018

Weaknesses

I’ve spent the last several weeks considering weaknesses, especially my own.  Paul discovered that in his weaknesses God’s power is perfected.  That says to me that my weaknesses, which are many, are not a hindrance to His working in and through my life.  My insecurities and fears are no match for His power and His grace. This is good news!

In my reading this morning, an even more wonderful promise regarding my weaknesses became clear.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.  (Heb 4:14-16).

“Sympathize” here means to be moved by what has moved someone else.  It’s more that just feeling sorry for someone.  It’s understanding what its like to live in the middle of someone else’s circumstances, coupled with the desire to do whatever is within your power to help them out.

“Weaknesses” is also a very strong word and is understood as “the human condition”. (P. Tripp)

Jesus knows what it’s like to live in a fallen world.  He understands the full range of temptations we face, the complexity of relationships.  He understands betrayal, rejection, pain and aloneness.  
He . knows . us

Knowing that He “understands” me is a truly great treasure, that He’s not turned off because I stumble and fall and don’t always get things right.  Being understood is right up there with knowing I am forgiven and that I am loved.

So, my understanding is that my weaknesses are no match for His greatness; that He knows them personally because He experienced them.  But He was not defeated by them but overcame them.  So, He is able to walk with me in my weakness and I, in turn, can rely upon His strength - and THAT is a pretty good deal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment