Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Not sure where I'm going with this but . . .

I was thinking this morning of all the conflicting noise that surrounds us today, that divides us today. Everyone has an opinion and feels the need to express it to the rest of us . . . myself included.  God is NOT the author of confusion but our enemy sure is and he is exploiting it to the max.  We don’t have to agree to get along, we just have to be willing to be gracious to one another, to listen and try to understand what is being said.  No one gets it right all the time.  We are, after all, all sinner who have fallen short of the glory of God.  So let’s not villainize those who see things differently.

Sometime, however, we just have to part ways – when our opinions and values become more important than a relationship.  That sounds a bit harsh, but there is a level of differences, extreme differences, which I find are a barrier to any real relationship.  (Keep in mind that I’m an introvert and can only handle just so many relationships to start with.)  I wish these folks no ill will, nor do I think any less of them, but if I find no common ground I say it’s time to just move on. To be at peace with others sometimes requires separation.  Boundaries and fences do make for good neighbors.

For me, personally, the common ground that most often keeps me in a relationship is Jesus.  While I may not agree with their views and opinions, I can accept them as a fellow follower of Christ.  Acceptance does not mean agreement – it just means a willingness to remain – one beggar telling another beggar where to find food. We are to pursue peace (Heb 12:14) and if it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. (Rom 12:18).

In the midst of all the noise, take a moment to stop, be still and listen for His voice  - and where He leads, follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment