Friday, September 29, 2017

About a garden

That inner spiritual center – a garden, a place of potent peace and tranquility, a place where the Spirit of God comes to make self-disclosure, to share wisdom, to give affirmation or rebuke, to provide encouragement, and to give direction and guidance.  A quiet place where there is the absence of busyness, the defiling noise, of confusion.

This quote is from a book I am currently reading called Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald and it reminded me of the following:

Many years ago at a conference the speaker asked us to image our inner lives as a garden. We were to ask Jesus to come in and to allow Him to pull out the weeds.  It has always stuck with me, the image I had of Him joyfully, and with get abandon, pulling out the weeds and tossing them aside.  As I remember there was quite a lot of work for Him to do, and He was tireless in His efforts.  There was such a sense of rejoicing.  He and I both found such pleasure in uprooting and getting rid of the weeds so that my garden could produce the fruit for which it was intended.

Today, while there is still work to be done, there is that place of peace and tranquility, a place of quiet confidence and rest.  I am so very blessed in knowing that my life is in His hands. That my garden is being tended to by The Great Gardener.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ceylon, that is a beautiful image! Yes...what peace and joy, knowing He has our best in His heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete