Saturday, August 26, 2017

I heard someone the other day say:

"My grandson was a bit sullen the other day when I was correcting him about something. When I asked him why he was acting that way he said, "Because you're always accusing me." That gave me pause. I did not realize it looked like that to him. I did not think I was always accusing him---I am sure I was not---but to him it looked that way. I realized I had better change and approach things differently."

That got me thinking of how differently we can perceive the same thing.  It seems even “eye witnesses” can have differing accounts of the same event, of what they see or don’t see.  I think that’s what makes knowing the truth so difficult at times.  Our own biases and histories can get in the way.  I think that’s why a criteria for truth must lie outside of one’s self – to define truth that isn’t based on personal opinion or momentary emotions.

God’s word says knowing the truth will set you free. . .because truth doesn’t depend on me.  His word is true – from the beginning to the end, unchanging, to be trusted and relied upon.  What a comfort to know that I don’t have to figure it all out, that He has done that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment