Friday, August 25, 2017

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men (Col 3:23)

I try to remind myself of this on a daily basis.  Though I don’t always succeed it’s worth the effort to try and develop this practice.  As the saying goes, we play for an audience of one and often the most menial task can have the greatest impact – on others and on ourselves.

I often think of David as a young boy. He was a shepherd who spent his early years caring for sheep.  As I understand it, sheep are pretty mindless animals and really need someone to look after them, but then that’s another story.

I know that all that time David spent alone, tending the sheep – a rather lowly and menial task – that God was preparing him for something much bigger.  I have always wanted a heart like David’s because he was known for having a heart for the Lord.  What a truly wonderful thing to be known for.  I think a large part of his heart development occurred during his early years spent in the lowly task of tending sheep.  So when I hear “whatever you do” I think of David.  So often the things we do go without notice or at least it appears that way.  But there is One who knows our every move.  I want my moves to be for Him, directed by Him and to rejoice in those moments when it’s just between the two of us.  So whatever I do, rather seen or unseen – I want it to be all for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment