Monday, August 27, 2012

Ramblings

As someone who is familiar with and loves our Hebraic roots, I can't help but see some similarities between the season of Elul and the season of Lent – both are time of reflection and repentance in preparation for very significant dates – Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, when sins are forgiven (for another year) and Passover and the Resurrection Day, where sin is dealt with permanently. Both are commemorative, recalling historical events with spiritual significance. Both have their “traditions” and both can be offered to God and used by Him in drawing us closer to Him.

I guess, one of the reasons I've been looking at this is why there always seems to be “sides” to things or that one is somehow better than the other. Can't there somehow be a sameness in purpose yet difference in method– like two sides of a coin – the purpose of the coin is the same which ever side is up.

For a number of years I have been drawn to Hebraic roots. There is a richness and depth it brings that is both exciting and comforting. But I don't feel compelled to “observe” Sabbath or the Feast Days – to have an awareness, yes but I don't see the observance as necessary. (I don't see observing Lent as necessary either). 
 
I just want to follow Jesus, God's One and Only Son – it is by that name I came to know Him as the One who paid the price for me, the One to whom I belong, the One to whom I cling. In many ways my faith is very simple – while I find doctrines and teachings beneficial, (although I probably spend way to much “head-time” studying them) – it is my relationship with Him and others that I find of the most importance.

To my Messianic friends, I applaud you – and thoroughly enjoy all that I have learned through you and am so grateful that you are a part of my life. To those friends within the church – no matter which branch you happen to be in – I am grateful too for your presence in my life and how many times the Lord has revealed His love through you. God is so much greater than what we know and I can't wait to spend eternity getting to know Him (and all of you) better.
 
Shalom and God's peace be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment